Today's the Day: Blog
Posted: Tuesday, July 7th, 2009
Hi everyone, I hope you are enjoying this miserable weather in the midst of July!!!! When is summer arriving?
I have had quite the response from yesterday‚Äôs segment on multivitamins. The good, the bad and the ugly‚Ä¶.essentially, we need to take multivitamins, but keep in mind not all vitamins are created equal, and many are simply a waste of money.
Dr. Nathalie Beauchamp, a new contributor to our segment is also the co-author of a recently published book called ‚ÄúWellness On The Go‚ÄĚ. Dr. Beauchamp co-wrote the book with Dr. Andree Benson, a career and life coach who has also joined the panel of professionals on our daily segment.
Here is what I can tell you: there is a book called the Comparative Guide To Nutritional Supplements, it evaluated 1500 supplements available in Canada and the US based on 18 criteria. Each product was then given a score based on a star system (0-5) with five stars being the best.
Here‚Äôs the unfortunate part- according to the book, most vitamins found in drug stores- even recognized brands- have very low absorption rates. So the question Dr. Beauchamp asks you in the book‚Ä¶.would you rather pay 10 bucks for vitamins that only let you absorb three to 10 percent of the nutritional value or spend a little more money and let you retain 100 percent of the value.
Also, the key is a single multivitamin a day doesn‚Äôt do the trick. An effective multivitamin needs to be absorbed throughout the entire day therefore the effective multivitamins need to be taken more like three times a day.
The top ranked vitamins are from:
- Creating Wellness
- Douglas Laboratories
- Truestar Health
- USANA Health Science
This information was collected by the Comparative Guide To Nutritional Supplements.
Dr. Beauchamp co-wrote a book called ‚ÄėWellness on The Go‚Äô‚Ä¶.
The information was quite scary as to how bad some of the popular multivitamins are and how little they are actually doing (like Centrum)!!!!!
Something to think about‚Ä¶Here is the book information as well as information on Dr. Beauchamp and Dr. Benson: www.wellnessonthego.com
- TRX Posted: Wednesday, May 5th, 2010
- Chai Tea - Latte-style! Posted: Wednesday, February 17th, 2010
- Fruit and Vegetables Stickers Posted: Tuesday, December 22nd, 2009
- Organic Choices on Fruits and Vegetables! Posted: Wednesday, December 16th, 2009
- Gymsticks Posted: Wednesday, December 2nd, 2009
- Today's the Day Contributors Posted: Wednesday, November 25th, 2009
- Recap of Segments! Posted: Thursday, August 6th, 2009
- Multi-Vitamins Posted: Tuesday, July 7th, 2009
- Powerbar Snack Posted: Tuesday, June 9th, 2009
- Epipen Posted: Monday, June 8th, 2009
- Core Posted: Thursday, June 4th, 2009
- Shoulder Dislocate Stretch! Posted: Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009
- Nuts & Kettlebells! Posted: Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009
- Weed Re-cap Posted: Friday, May 29th, 2009
- Jumping Squares & Inverted Spine Table Posted: Thursday, May 21st, 2009
- An Ode to the Derriere! Posted: Tuesday, May 19th, 2009
- Recap: Nut Butters and Celiac Posted: Monday, May 11th, 2009
- Natural Products Posted: Friday, May 15th, 2009
- Kettlebell switch swing Posted: Thursday, May 14th, 2009
- Speed and Agility Skills Posted: Tuesday, May 12th, 2009
- Nut Butters and Celiac Posted: Monday, May 11th, 2009
- Bottom to Bottom Tabada Posted: Wednesday, May 6th, 2009
- Hydroxycut... Stop NOW! Posted: Tuesday, May 5th, 2009
- Ankle Sprains Posted: Thursday, April 30th, 2009
- Week Recap Posted: Monday, April 27th, 2009
- Spring Cleaning Posted: Friday, April 17th, 2009
- More Kettlebell Posted: Thursday, April 16th, 2009
- No Gym Required... Side Crunch! Posted: Wednesday, April 15th, 2009
- Teri's Stuffed Dates! Posted: Tuesday, April 14th, 2009
- JC Leg Cranks! Posted: Monday, April 13th, 2009
- The Common Cold... Posted: Thursday, April 9th, 2009
- Celebrity Trainer Posted: Wednesday, April 8th, 2009
- Catch Up! Posted: Tuesday, April 7th, 2009
- Hand Clap Abs! Posted: Wednesday, April 1st, 2009
- The Avocado Posted: Tuesday, March 31st, 2009
- Basic Kettlebell Swing Posted: Friday, March 20th, 2009
- Shin Splints Posted: Wednesday, March 18th, 2009
- The Right Question Posted: Tuesday, March 17th, 2009
- Personal Trainers Posted: Friday, March 13th, 2009
- Tabata Posted: Thursday, March 12th, 2009
- Grocery Shopping Posted: Wednesday, March 11th, 2009
- Hip Abductors! Posted: Tuesday, March 10th, 2009
- Swallowing the Horse Pills!! Posted: Monday, March 9th, 2009
- Cardio Tempo Posted: Friday, March 6th, 2009
- Strength for Seniors Posted: Wednesday, March 4th, 2009
- Oatmeal Bath Posted: Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009
- BOSU Jumping Jack! Posted: Monday, March 2nd, 2009
- Fountain Of Youth Wrap Up! Posted: Friday, February 27th, 2009
- Vitamin Infusions Posted: Thursday, February 26th, 2009
- Lipo-Dermo-Sculpting! Posted: Wednesday, February 25th, 2009