Today's the Day: Blog
The Common Cold...
Posted: Thursday, April 9th, 2009
Chocolate, live bunnies and Kurt in a gigantic bunny suit!!!! Today's show had it all. I like the theory, give all the kids bags and boxes full of chocolate and then send them home with their parents...
Today's segment focused on the common cold. Many thanks to Dr. Allison Geffen for forwarding the following information for today's blog:
Tips to Fight the Common Cold
Dr. Allison Geffen
WHAT IS THE COMMON COLD?
- The common cold is caused by a highly contagious virus that infects your upper respiratory tract â€“ your nose and throat
- Although the most common virus is the "rhinovirus", there are over 200 viruses that can cause the common cold, and thatâ€™s why symptoms may vary (between runny nose, sore throat, cough, watery eyes, sneezing and congestion)
- It really is "common" â€“ with most adults getting 2-4 times a year, and your children as often as 6-10 times a year (children havenâ€™t yet developed resistance to most of the viruses, and are in close contact with other kids and arenâ€™t good at washing frequently or covering their coughs and sneezes).
HOW TO AVOID THE COMMON COLD? â€“ â€ś2 PRONG STRATEGYâ€ť
- Although there isnâ€™t a cure for the common cold there is a â€ś2 Prong Strategyâ€ť to prevent it: 1st REDUCE EXPOSURE TO GERMS AND 2ND BOOST YOUR IMMUNE:
WAYS TO REDUCE EXPOSURE TO GERMS:
- WASH YOUR HANDS FREQUENTLY â€“ either with soap & water or with an instant sanitizer (like Purel) frequently, before eating or preparing food, after nose-wiping, toileting, etc.
- DISINFECT â€“ clean commonly touched surfaces, (sink handles, door handles, kitchen, bathroom, wash toys frequently
- Use PAPER TOWELS and tissues - instead of shared cloth towels
- DON'T SHARE â€“ utensils, cupsâ€¦
- AVOID â€“ PEOPLE with colds and avoid TOUCHING your nose, mouth and face.
- HYDRATION â€“ FLUIDS help flush out toxins so ensure your liquid intake is high
- AIR IT OUT â€“ OPEN WINDOWS (and get ducts cleaned) to let fresh air in and germs out
WAYS TO STRENGTHEN YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM:
- SLEEP â€“ "catch more zzzzzz" â€“ studies show that when they exposed healthy volunteers to a cold virus, those with less than 7 hours a night were 3x more likely to catch a cold than those who slept for 8 or more hours! (In fact, those who had a poor total sleep time had 4x the risk compared with those who fell asleep quickly and slept soundly).
- "DE â€“ STRESS" / RELAX â€“ persistent stress weakens your immune systemâ€¦so try yoga.
- EXERCISE /BE ACTIVE â€“ well known benefits of regular exercise to energy level and immune system.
- HEALTHY DIET WITH VITAMIN C sources, dark leafy veg, reds and yellows and berries too, LOTS FLUIDS and perhaps probiotic YOGOURTS
- AVOID SMOKING AND SMOKE
- AVOID UNNECESSARY ANTIBIOTICS (increases risk of more resistant bacteria in the future)
- BREASTFEED - decreases colds in babies
- (and donâ€™t bother with Echinacea)
WHEN SHOULD YOU SEE YOUR DOCTOR?
- Most people recover from a common cold in about a week or two
- If symptoms donâ€™t improve or if develop red flag symptoms you should see your doctor - (fever, short of breath, etc.).
I wish everyone a healthy and happy long weekendâ€¦.Happy Easter and Happy Passover!!!!
- TRX Posted: Wednesday, May 5th, 2010
- Chai Tea - Latte-style! Posted: Wednesday, February 17th, 2010
- Fruit and Vegetables Stickers Posted: Tuesday, December 22nd, 2009
- Organic Choices on Fruits and Vegetables! Posted: Wednesday, December 16th, 2009
- Gymsticks Posted: Wednesday, December 2nd, 2009
- Today's the Day Contributors Posted: Wednesday, November 25th, 2009
- Recap of Segments! Posted: Thursday, August 6th, 2009
- Multi-Vitamins Posted: Tuesday, July 7th, 2009
- Powerbar Snack Posted: Tuesday, June 9th, 2009
- Epipen Posted: Monday, June 8th, 2009
- Core Posted: Thursday, June 4th, 2009
- Shoulder Dislocate Stretch! Posted: Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009
- Nuts & Kettlebells! Posted: Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009
- Weed Re-cap Posted: Friday, May 29th, 2009
- Jumping Squares & Inverted Spine Table Posted: Thursday, May 21st, 2009
- An Ode to the Derriere! Posted: Tuesday, May 19th, 2009
- Recap: Nut Butters and Celiac Posted: Monday, May 11th, 2009
- Natural Products Posted: Friday, May 15th, 2009
- Kettlebell switch swing Posted: Thursday, May 14th, 2009
- Speed and Agility Skills Posted: Tuesday, May 12th, 2009
- Nut Butters and Celiac Posted: Monday, May 11th, 2009
- Bottom to Bottom Tabada Posted: Wednesday, May 6th, 2009
- Hydroxycut... Stop NOW! Posted: Tuesday, May 5th, 2009
- Ankle Sprains Posted: Thursday, April 30th, 2009
- Week Recap Posted: Monday, April 27th, 2009
- Spring Cleaning Posted: Friday, April 17th, 2009
- More Kettlebell Posted: Thursday, April 16th, 2009
- No Gym Required... Side Crunch! Posted: Wednesday, April 15th, 2009
- Teri's Stuffed Dates! Posted: Tuesday, April 14th, 2009
- JC Leg Cranks! Posted: Monday, April 13th, 2009
- The Common Cold... Posted: Thursday, April 9th, 2009
- Celebrity Trainer Posted: Wednesday, April 8th, 2009
- Catch Up! Posted: Tuesday, April 7th, 2009
- Hand Clap Abs! Posted: Wednesday, April 1st, 2009
- The Avocado Posted: Tuesday, March 31st, 2009
- Basic Kettlebell Swing Posted: Friday, March 20th, 2009
- Shin Splints Posted: Wednesday, March 18th, 2009
- The Right Question Posted: Tuesday, March 17th, 2009
- Personal Trainers Posted: Friday, March 13th, 2009
- Tabata Posted: Thursday, March 12th, 2009
- Grocery Shopping Posted: Wednesday, March 11th, 2009
- Hip Abductors! Posted: Tuesday, March 10th, 2009
- Swallowing the Horse Pills!! Posted: Monday, March 9th, 2009
- Cardio Tempo Posted: Friday, March 6th, 2009
- Strength for Seniors Posted: Wednesday, March 4th, 2009
- Oatmeal Bath Posted: Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009
- BOSU Jumping Jack! Posted: Monday, March 2nd, 2009
- Fountain Of Youth Wrap Up! Posted: Friday, February 27th, 2009
- Vitamin Infusions Posted: Thursday, February 26th, 2009
- Lipo-Dermo-Sculpting! Posted: Wednesday, February 25th, 2009