Today's the Day: Blog
Fountain Of Youth Wrap Up!
Posted: Friday, February 27th, 2009
Okâ€¦So I figure 7 months into writing these daily morning blogs, that some of you may know more about me than you would like, or find that I share just the right amount of information to seem like a pretty normal person. This may change when I reveal that I think I have a crush on Zac Ephron!!!! It crept up on me slowlyâ€¦A few months ago my husband brought home the first High School Musical movie knowing that Andie loved anything that involved music and dancingâ€¦.I was a little shocked thinking it was a little over the top for a 3 year old at the timeâ€¦.But it was a cute story line and I liked the fact that they could get a kid to shoot hoops while dancing and singing!!!! By High School Musical 2, I was totally on board, and couldnâ€™t help but smile when Andie chose the HSM movies for her down time, over some of the others in her collection. So, Yesterday, for Andieâ€™s birthday we bought her the HSM doll houseâ€¦.and the new High School Musical 3 just out on videoâ€¦.I think I was more excited to see it than she wasâ€¦.The movie had me longing to be back in high school! With Zac of course singing me serenades in a tree house and then going to kick some butt on the basketball court. So, there, Iâ€™ve admitted it, I am smitten with Zac, I think heâ€™s adorable and if I was 15 again, I may have put a poster of him near my bed!!! Andie by the way, loves her new toy, and already has Gabriella and Troy living happily ever after and the â€świcked witchâ€ť Sharpee in the doghouse!!!
Ok, now that that is out of my system, letâ€™s wrap up the Fountain Of Youth series with our last installment. Our segment today took place at the office of Dr. Karen Dover, who specializes in laser and cosmetic medicine.
Dr. Dover has a lot of spunk and was fun to chat with about a variety of skin care topics. She offered some very useful and important information about our skin care products and the ways we need to protect and improve our skin. In fact, Dr. Dover started spitting out so much information that I eventually put the note pad down and asked her to send me a few notes and points that she thought were crucial for our viewers to know. So with that said, here is her advice in her own words:
Dr. Karen J. Doverâ€™s approach to skin care
1) CLEANSE: Start with a good cleanser, preferably with a poly-hydroxy acid or an alpha-hydroxy acid, (e.g. lactic acid, glycolic acid, or gluconolactone), which should be used morning and night. This will help remove the outer few layers of dead cells and improve the absorption of the next few products in the skin care program.
2) TREAT/REJUVENATE: To treat your skin, apply anti-aging products, which come in many forms, all of which have a role. They repair the damage done to the skin cells, mostly due to sun exposure. Look for anti-aging creams and serums with anti-oxidants (e.g. vitamin C, green tea, CoQ10, idebenone), peptides (e.g. Matixyl, Kinerol), and growth factors. Vitamin E and Alpha Lipoic Acid can also beneficial. These products usually come in a moisturizer, which plumps and smoothes the skin, as it hydrates. They should be applied daily, preferably morning and night, for maximal benefits.
3) PROTECT: The morning moisturizer cream should contain a broad-spectrum sunscreen, with a minimum SPF of 15, daily. This protects against future damage to your skin and is vital in a good skin program. Higher SPF should be applied in the summer months for further protection.
4) REPAIR/REVERSE: The Vitamin A â€“derivative, Retin-A, is a prescription anti-aging cream, which should be part of every skin regimen. It should be applied at night, about a half hour after cleansing, followed by a good nightly moisturizer which contains some of the active ingredients listed above. Start slowly, potentially every third night, building up to a nightly application, if well-tolerated. It will be worth the effort, as the results are really impressive.
5) SUPPLEMENT: Remember that it is important to nourish the skin from within, as well as topically. Diet cannot be over-emphasized. Colourful fruits and vegetables tend to contain the anti-oxidants which are important in the repair process. Vitamin, mineral and anti-oxidant supplements orally can also be of help. Sleep is also great for improving the appearance of the skin.
6) SHOP: Go buy yourself a wide-brimmed hatâ€¦.shoulder width! It will go a long way to protect your precious skin.
BE patientâ€¦..take the timeâ€¦..it is well-worth the investment!
BEST OF LUCK!!!!
While we were chatting Dr. Dover couldnâ€™t emphasize enough the importance of protecting our skin from the sun. You may love to bake in the sun now, but aside from the cancer risks, you are lending yourself to damaged skin, which will only wrinkle and sag in time!!!
She also, said that in addition to all the suggestions she made about creams the cherry on the cake is of course Botox and Restylane. She says they are magical when it comes to reversing the signs of aging. There is plenty of information as well on the types of laser treatments Dr. Dover performs at her clinic. Please check out her website at www.kjd-md.com
Dr. Dover will be at the Spring National Womenâ€™s Show taking place at the Aberdeen Pavilion on May 1-3. She will be at the Restylane booth on Sunday from 10am-12pm. Apparently the booth will have a camera set-up that will take your picture and then their computer will show you an after picture with an enhanced version of yourself after Restylane injections.
That wraps up our series. I hope you learned a few things and may decide to try one of the treatments we profiled. Always feel free to email me if you have further questions!!!1
- TRX Posted: Wednesday, May 5th, 2010
- Chai Tea - Latte-style! Posted: Wednesday, February 17th, 2010
- Fruit and Vegetables Stickers Posted: Tuesday, December 22nd, 2009
- Organic Choices on Fruits and Vegetables! Posted: Wednesday, December 16th, 2009
- Gymsticks Posted: Wednesday, December 2nd, 2009
- Today's the Day Contributors Posted: Wednesday, November 25th, 2009
- Recap of Segments! Posted: Thursday, August 6th, 2009
- Multi-Vitamins Posted: Tuesday, July 7th, 2009
- Powerbar Snack Posted: Tuesday, June 9th, 2009
- Epipen Posted: Monday, June 8th, 2009
- Core Posted: Thursday, June 4th, 2009
- Shoulder Dislocate Stretch! Posted: Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009
- Nuts & Kettlebells! Posted: Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009
- Weed Re-cap Posted: Friday, May 29th, 2009
- Jumping Squares & Inverted Spine Table Posted: Thursday, May 21st, 2009
- An Ode to the Derriere! Posted: Tuesday, May 19th, 2009
- Recap: Nut Butters and Celiac Posted: Monday, May 11th, 2009
- Natural Products Posted: Friday, May 15th, 2009
- Kettlebell switch swing Posted: Thursday, May 14th, 2009
- Speed and Agility Skills Posted: Tuesday, May 12th, 2009
- Nut Butters and Celiac Posted: Monday, May 11th, 2009
- Bottom to Bottom Tabada Posted: Wednesday, May 6th, 2009
- Hydroxycut... Stop NOW! Posted: Tuesday, May 5th, 2009
- Ankle Sprains Posted: Thursday, April 30th, 2009
- Week Recap Posted: Monday, April 27th, 2009
- Spring Cleaning Posted: Friday, April 17th, 2009
- More Kettlebell Posted: Thursday, April 16th, 2009
- No Gym Required... Side Crunch! Posted: Wednesday, April 15th, 2009
- Teri's Stuffed Dates! Posted: Tuesday, April 14th, 2009
- JC Leg Cranks! Posted: Monday, April 13th, 2009
- The Common Cold... Posted: Thursday, April 9th, 2009
- Celebrity Trainer Posted: Wednesday, April 8th, 2009
- Catch Up! Posted: Tuesday, April 7th, 2009
- Hand Clap Abs! Posted: Wednesday, April 1st, 2009
- The Avocado Posted: Tuesday, March 31st, 2009
- Basic Kettlebell Swing Posted: Friday, March 20th, 2009
- Shin Splints Posted: Wednesday, March 18th, 2009
- The Right Question Posted: Tuesday, March 17th, 2009
- Personal Trainers Posted: Friday, March 13th, 2009
- Tabata Posted: Thursday, March 12th, 2009
- Grocery Shopping Posted: Wednesday, March 11th, 2009
- Hip Abductors! Posted: Tuesday, March 10th, 2009
- Swallowing the Horse Pills!! Posted: Monday, March 9th, 2009
- Cardio Tempo Posted: Friday, March 6th, 2009
- Strength for Seniors Posted: Wednesday, March 4th, 2009
- Oatmeal Bath Posted: Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009
- BOSU Jumping Jack! Posted: Monday, March 2nd, 2009
- Fountain Of Youth Wrap Up! Posted: Friday, February 27th, 2009
- Vitamin Infusions Posted: Thursday, February 26th, 2009
- Lipo-Dermo-Sculpting! Posted: Wednesday, February 25th, 2009