Spiced Apple 'n Oat Squares
From Foodland Ontario
DATE: Thursday, December 29th, 2011
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) Quick-cooking oat (not instant) rolled oats
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) butter, softened
- 6 cups (1.5 L) diced (1/2-inch/1 cm) , peeled Ontario Apples (such as McIntosh, Empire, Idared)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) Ontario Apple Cider or water
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- In large bowl, mix together flour, oats, sugar and baking soda.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender until crumbly.
- Firmly press 3 cups (750 mL) into 9-inch (2.5 L) square cake pan.
- Reserve remaining crumbs for top.
- In large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine apples, sugar, cider, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; bring to boil over high heat reduce heat and simmer, for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until softened and thickened.
- Let cool slightly. (Filling may be made ahead and refrigerated.)
Spread filling over base.
- Distribute reserved crumbs over top.
- Bake in 350Â°F (180Â°C) oven for 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown