Molson Canadian Fruitcake
From Chef Michael Clive
DATE: Thursday, December 29th, 2011
- 473ml/ 16oz. Molson Canadian beerâ€¨
- 3 Cups dried fruits (apples, pears, plums, dates) choppedâ€¨
- 3 Cups All-purpose flourâ€¨
- 1 1/2 Cup packed brown sugarâ€¨
- 1 tsp Cinnamonâ€¨
- 1/2 tsp Allspiceâ€¨
- 1 tsp Baking sodaâ€¨
- 1 1/4 Cup butterâ€¨
- 4 Eggsâ€¨
- Â½ tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Lemon zest
- 1 Cup Walnuts, chopped
- Â¼ Cup coconut, flaked
- Â¼ Cup Maple syrup
- Â¼ Cup Water
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- Pour half of the Molson Canadian into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add fruit. Let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir together flour, brown sugar, spices and baking soda. Using a mixer, cream together the brown sugar with the butter.
- Add the eggs one by one until fully incorporated.
- Add the remaining beer, lemon zest and vanilla to egg mixture. Add the coconut. Add the flour one cup at a time.
- Fold the dried fruit mixture and nuts into batter. Mix together the maple syrup, water and powdered sugar to make the icing.
- Turn into greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake in 350 F oven about 45-55 minutes.
- Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely. Drizzle the maple icing overtop and slice.