Danaâ€™s Pasta e Fagioli
DATE: Tuesday, April 19th, 2011
- 8 oz bag NN pasta shells
- 2 tbsp NN olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can NN or BM kidney beans
- 1 can NN or BM chopped tomatoes
- Â½ tsp salt
- Â¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a rolling boil.
- Add pasta shells. Cook until almost done, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Drain, setting aside 4 cups pasta cooking water.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Transfer kidney beans to a medium bowl. Using a potato masher, mash beans slightly.
- Add beans and tomatoes to skillet.
- Stir to combine. Cook sauce for 10 minutes.
- Add pasta and reserved cooking water. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and transfer to shallow bowls.
- Garnish with parsley.