DATE: Monday, February 14th, 2011
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 8 oz (250 g) Ontario Cremini Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small Ontario Onion, sliced
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, minced
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) chicken stock
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) apple cider or apple juice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) Calvados or brandy (optional)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp/5 mL) dried thyme)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped fresh or dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- In large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tsp (5 mL) of the oil over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms, onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until softened. Remove and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet.
- Add chicken breasts; cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add vegetables, chicken stock, apple cider, Calvados, thyme, rosemary and salt; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, turning chicken several times for 12 to 14 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Transfer chicken to platter; tent with foil
- Increase heat to high, boil liquid until reduced by half, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Whisk water with cornstarch; whisk into liquid and cook over low heat until sauce is thickened.
- Spoon over chicken.