DATE: Monday, February 14th, 2011
- 1 cup (250 mL) apricot jam
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
- Half 397 g pkg frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3 or 4 Ontario Apples (Northern Spy, Crispin, Spartan, Golden Delicious or McIntosh)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
Chocolate Hearts (optional):
- 2 oz (60 g) white, semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
Chocolate Hearts (optional)
- Melt chocolate and drizzle or paint small hearts on waxed paper; refrigerate until set.
- Remove hearts with spatula when needed.
- Push jam through sieve to remove solids.
- In small saucepan, combine sieved jam with sugar; simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Keep warm.
- Place large heavy baking sheet on middle oven rack.
- Heat oven to 450F (230C).
- Roll dough to 12-inch (30 cm) square; cut into four 6-inch (15 cm) squares.
- Leaving 1-inch (2.5 cm) border all around, prick centres with tines of fork.
- Paint pricked area with some of the warm apricot glaze.
- Halve, peel and core apples. Thinly slice each half, keeping slices together.
- Pick up each half with knife blade or spatula; press to slightly flatten and stagger each row of apple slices.
- Place on prepared dough, leaving border free.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Fold up dough border.
- With fingers or tines of fork, sharply crimp border and corners.
- Transfer pastries to individual, buttered, multi-thickness foil squares; place on baking sheet in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until pastry is crisp and brown.
- Paint hot tartlets with remaining apricot glaze.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with chocolate hearts, if desired.