Angieâ€™s WINNING Mac Nâ€™ Cheese!
DATE: Friday, January 8th, 2010
- 1 head of garlic, roasted
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound Cavatappi pasta
- Â½ pound sliced Applewood smoked bacon
- 1 Â½ cups fresh white bread crumbs (5 slices, crusts removed)
- Â½ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 8 tablespoons butter
- Â¼ cup minced shallots
- Â½ cup flour
- 1 quart whole milk
- 6 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- 8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- Â½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Â¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350Â°.
To roast garlic:
- Slice Â½ inch off the top of the entire head of garlic.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Wrap garlic head tightly in a square of heavy foil and roast until tender â€” about 45 minutes.
- Remove garlic pulp by squeezing garlic head. Smash cloves with a fork to form a paste.
Cook pasta according to package directions.
Cook bacon completely. Drain on paper towels.
Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon fat. Crumble bacon when cool.
To make topping:
- Combine breadcrumbs, crumbled bacon, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, and 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 375Â°.
- SautÃ© shallots over low heat in reserved bacon fat for one minute.
- Add remaining 6 tablespoons of butter and continue to sautÃ© shallots in butter and bacon fat until translucent.
- Add flour and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium. Stirring constantly with a whisk, add milk and roasted garlic paste.
- Cook until sauce is thickened (coats the back of a spoon).
- Remove sauce from heat then add salt, pepper, nutmeg, Gruyere and Cheddar cheeses. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
- Stir in cooked pasta.
- Pour into baking dish. Sprinkle topping to cover entire top.
- Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking until sauce is bubbly and topping is browned. Enjoy!