A Korey Kealey Recipe
DATE: Thursday, March 5th, 2009
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) molasses
- 1 Ontario Egg
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) grated peeled Ontario Apples (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) minced candied ginger (2 slices)
- Lemon Sauce (recipe below)
Lemon Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind and juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) vanilla
- In 4-cup (1 L) glass measure, whisk sugar with cornstarch.
- Whisk in milk until smooth. Microwave, uncovered, at High for 3 to 5 minutes or until boiling and thickened, whisking at least once during cooking.
- Stir in butter until melted. Stir in lemon juice, rind and vanilla.
- Makes about 1-1/2 cups (375 mL).
- Grease six 3/4 cup (175 mL) ramekins or custard cups; set aside.
- In bowl, combine oil, brown sugar, molasses and egg until well blended. Stir in apple.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir in candied ginger.
- Stir in liquid mixture until combined.
- Spoon evenly into prepared ramekins.
- Arrange in circle in microwave oven.
- Microwave, uncovered, at High for 3 to 5 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- To serve, turn out onto individual plates and serve with warm Lemon Sauce.