This is a delicious blend of flavour and colour. Substitute your favourite fat-reduced cheese for a change of style.
DATE: Wednesday, May 21st, 2008
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 Ontario Onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- 8 to 10 stalks Ontario Asparagus, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces
- 1 medium Ontario Greenhouse Tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 baked 12-inch (30 cm) whole wheat pizza crust
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chÃ¨vre cheese, crumbled
In frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat; sautÃ© onion and garlic until softened and golden, about 8 minutes. Add vinegar and sugar; stir. Add asparagus; cook for 3 minutes. Add tomato, basil, and salt and pepper to taste; cook for 1 minute.
Spread asparagus mixture over whole-wheat pizza crust; top with chÃ¨vre cheese.
Place pizza directly on middle oven rack (for softer, chewier crust, bake on cookie sheet). Bake in 375Â°F (190Â°C) oven (or according to pizza crust directions on package) for 6 to 8 minutes or until crust browns. Broil for 2 minutes or until cheese begins to bubble.