Mexicana Salsa Pie
From Foodland Ontario
DATE: Thursday, January 17th, 2008
Instead of pastry, this pie has a puffy baked squash crust. Cutting down on fat, reducing the amount of meat and serving plenty of readily available Ontario vegetables is a sensible way to keep the budget and the calories under control. You can microwave the squash for the topping in super quick time. Just wash and pierce the skin in several places. Place on plate and microwave at High power (7 to 8 minutes for a 1 lb / 500 g squash), turning once. Let stand for 5 minutes. Halve, then remove and discard seeds before mashing.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 to 35 minutes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) coarsely chopped Ontario Onion
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped sweet green pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely diced Ontario Carrot
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated peeled Ontario Rutabaga
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) beef stock or water
- 1 lb (500 g) extra-lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) salsa or chili sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) *mashed cooked Ontario Buttercup Squash
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- Add meat to skillet; cook, stirring to break up any large pieces, until no longer pink.
- Mix into cooked vegetables along with salsa, paprika and oregano.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In bowl, beat together squash and eggs until smooth; stir in milk.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt; stir into squash mixture just until blended.
- Spread topping over meat mixture; score with knife into wedges.
- Bake in 400ï‚°F (200ï‚°C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until topping is puffed and firm to the touch yet still slightly moist at centre.
*If buttercup squash is unavailable, combine 1 cup (250 mL) mashed, cooked acorn or hubbard squash with 1/2 cup (125 mL) mashed potatoes.
PROTEIN: 28.0 grams
FAT: 10.0 grams
CARBOHYDRATES: 27.5 grams